Head: Water Division Water Engineer
- Head the company’s water division, which is of significant size, turnover, client base, project portfolio, geographical footprint in SA, and also has exposure to large international projects in the African continent.
- All water discipline business unit (BU) heads will report to the Head: Water Division regarding knowledge base, operational matters and divisional performance, although administratively these individuals will report to the relevant regional managers.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with the water BU heads in the companies regional offices and oversee/monitor efficiency of operations and financial performance, but with limited interference in the local operations.
- Co-ordinate and provide management assistance to all water BUs with regards to appropriate availability of knowledge base, selection and appointment of keys staff, efficiency of operations, allocation of projects and sharing of work between BUs, etc.
- Act as the project director/team leader, draft and negotiate contracts and participate actively in the setting up of project teams, quality management systems, monitoring of performance, technical assistance and oversight, and any other hands-on work required for the execution of selected large international and/or local projects.
- In consultation with the BU heads, prepare and regularly update the strategy for the development of the water division, convene annual strategy divisional meetings, set up standard technical documentation, protocols, procedures and quality assurance plans, assist in selecting standardized software, lead the divisional knowledge hub, provide technical advice in the field of specialization, disseminate training material, etc.
- Undertake business development activities in SA, establish and maintain professional relationships with key clients (in consultation with, and where applicable, jointly with relevant BU heads) aiming at client satisfaction and development of new business opportunities.
- Undertake international business development and actively participate (though personal involvement in undertaking some/most work) in the preparation and submission of international tenders for larger projects.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with the divisional heads and senior management of key consulting companies and contractors aiming at co-operation and mutually beneficial associations in tendering for and executing larger projects.
- Take responsibility for the overall financial management and performance of the division.
- Report to company top management regarding all of the above.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REGISTRATION (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS)
- Recognized Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Registered as a Pr Eng with ECSA.
- Additional qualifications, which will be considered as an advantage.
- A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Post-graduate studies in water engineering, project management, arbitration, finance, or other fields related to the job requirements.
- Registration as Professional Construction Project Manager.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Must be a SA citizen.
- This is predominantly a technical position, but which also requires excellent managerial, financial, legal, business development, planning, project management and interpersonal skills.
- The qualifications, skills and experience of the selected candidate should be of the necessary caliber as to enable the individual to add considerable personal value to the future prosperity of the division and to naturally command respect from both subordinates and management.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a senior engineering management position, at similar level, in a private consulting practice in SA.
- Excellent knowledge of industry norms, regulations, practices and operational processes in the consulting environment in SA.
- Minimum 15 years proven hands-on specialist experience in the field of water infrastructure design (such as in at least some of the following fields: large bore pipelines, pumping stations, water and/or waste water treatment works, dams, hydropower, canals, river abstraction works, etc.), construction supervision and contract administration.
- In addition, experience as a study leader for large water resource planning and feasibility studies will be an advantage.
- Experience and ability to confidently guide and advise consulting teams in every aspect of the work for large studies, design and supervision projects, including on technical, financial and contractual matters.
- Working knowledge and experience with the standard conditions contract, such as GCC, FIDIC and/or NEC will be a considerable advantage.
- Must have acted as a project leader with ultimate responsibility for the implementation and performance for a minimum of 2 large infrastructure projects with construction value for each exceeding R500 million.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and ability to write sound professional reports, proposals and submissions independently and without supervision.
- Good verbal skills in a native official language of SA will be a considerable advantage.
- Knowledge of client base, procurement regulations and excellent communication skills, enabling efficient and effective business development.
- Experience in senior project leadership positions for international projects in other African countries would be an additional advantage.
Salary: R900, 000.00 – R1, 000,000.00 TCTC (Pending on qualification and experience).
For more details please contact Yolandie Greyling:
Contact number: 076 965 2256
Please submit a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org